After opening the doors to the newly purpose-built Foyer in August 2021, the team took a strategic approach to welcoming and inducting the new residents at a measured pace.
With 40 units available, they commenced their Foyer journey with an initial 9 residents, one of which is a young mum and bub.
Since then, the Gold Coast Youth Foyer has enjoyed a steady but stable pace with regards to their intake and recently surpassed the halfway mark.
In addition to the 21 residents living in the program currently, the Gold Coast team report, there is an additional 8 young people approved and are eagerly awaiting their move-in dates, with another 7 halfway through their intake and assessment process. These numbers, coupled with a steady stream of incoming referrals; the Gold Coast Youth Foyer is on target to be near capacity by the end of December 2021.
The Foyer approach is a springboard for young people who are motivated to partner with The Gold Coast Youth Foyer and commit to “the deal”, whilst undertaking education, employment, or training.
Currently, 80% of residents are engaged in earning or learning opportunities whilst the remaining 20% look for opportunities. The Foyer approach ensures the residents are supported to gain essential, practical life skills to help them transition into mainstream accommodation, live independently, and build a thriving future.
The Foyer was officially opened on October 20th by MP Leeanne Enoch and MP Meaghan Scanlon cutting the ribbon and hosting the welcome.
We’d like to congratulate the entire team at the Gold Coast Youth Foyer for their passion and commitment to opening the Foyer, with a big shout out to Matt and Maria for the exceptional work they put into fighting youth homelessness on the Gold Coast.
Click below for more information on Gold Coast Youth Services