Australian Finance Group (AFG) is one of Australia’s largest networks of mortgage brokers, and has been a principal partner of the Foyer Foundation since 2021. AFG is committed to working closely with the Foyer Foundation to offer real, life-changing opportunities to young people living in Foyers, with a particular focus on empowering them to achieve their independence goals.
The AFG Independence Fund provides small grants, of between $100 and $1,000, to support young people living in Accredited Youth Foyers across Australia on their journey towards independence. Our aim is to invest in your dreams and help you achieve your goals, by offering financial support that aligns with one or more of the 7 Youth Foyer service offer areas:
- Education: Laptops/computer equipment, school supplies, stationery, micro credentials and course fees (RSA, First Aid training).
- Work: Workwear, tools, certification fees
- Health: Activities that promote physical and mental wellbeing and independence among young people e.g. cooking classes, gym memberships.
- Connection: Networking opportunities such as conferences, where you can connect with like-minded people or potential mentors, community service projects that help establish connections while giving back to the community.
- Financial Literacy: financial literacy workshops or online courses that focus on budgeting.
- Housing: furniture, kitchen appliances, or other essentials to set up your own space when you move out of the Foyer
- Independence: Driving lessons, activities that improve your self-confidence, such as public speaking or leadership courses.
- Current Foyer residents – Eligibility is limited to current residents of an Accredited Youth Foyer (alumni are not eligible)
- One grant per applicant – Each young person is eligible for one grant only. If you have received AFG funding support in the past, you are not eligible to apply again
- Average gift – While payments may be made up to $1,000, an average gift of approximately $400 or less is more likely to be successful.
- Part contribution – Your existing skills, assets, and resources are valuable, and we appreciate it when you invest your own effort or savings toward your goals. Therefore, an application will be viewed favourably if the applicants are willing to contribute to their nominated item.
- Fair distribution – The Foyer Foundation aims to distribute funds as equitably as possible among Foyers and young people. In the case of high numbers of requests from one Foyer, a limit may be applied.
STEP 1: Complete application Form
- Begin by filling out the online application form, which you can find below.
- Young people should take the lead in completing the form with the support and endorsement of a nominated Foyer staff member.
- Make sure your proposed activities align with at least one of the 7 Foyer offers mentioned above.
- Provide complete information as per the questions on the form.
- Applications for this round are open from Wednesday 1st November to Monday 27 November 2023.
STEP 2: Notification of outcome
- After submitting your application, our team will review it.
- You will be notified of the outcome by Monday 11th December via e-mail and through your Youth Development Coach/Worker.
- If your application is approved, the Foyer will raise an invoice for the total amount, (combining all AFG Independence Fund applications) to the Foyer Foundation. This step happens behind the scenes, so you can focus on your goals.
STEP 3: Get started on your goal!
Congratulations! You’ve been approved for the AFG Independence Fund, and now it’s time to start working on your identified independence goal.
Collaborate closely with your Youth Development Coach/Worker to progress your goal and spend the allocated funds.
It’s important to note that de-identified details of how funds are used will be collected and reported to Foyer Foundation supporters. We do this to celebrate and share your incredible achievements with our supporters, showcasing the positive impact of the AFG Independence Fund.